Authentic Portuguese Egg Tarts: My First Attempt Baking for a Portuguese Friend
Golden, caramelized Portuguese egg tarts fresh from the oven.
Introduction
There are moments in life when you find yourself committed to something before you fully understand what you have gotten into.
Baking Portuguese egg tarts for an actual Portuguese person was one of those moments for me.
My ex-manager, Joao, is Portuguese. From the day he discovered my love for baking, he has been asking me to bake some Portuguese egg tarts. It sounded daunting, but to be fair, I did not even do a search for Portuguese egg tarts before deciding that in my mind.
As he continued telling me how delicious they are and how they could not be more different from Chinese egg tarts, I said I would try baking the Portuguese version if he could bring some for me from Portugal. He agreed.
I had no more excuses.
The best opportunity came up when a group of us were going to visit Joao and Ruth's baby, Luke. Imagine baking Portuguese egg tarts for the first time for a Portuguese person. Go ahead, imagine that.
Jitterville.
I did it, and I got a huge thumbs up from Joao. He even said a lot of people in Singapore would be willing to pay for these. Hmmm.
That comment has stayed with me ever since.
What Makes Portuguese Egg Tarts Different?
The flaky pastry and caramelized top make Portuguese tarts unique.
Before I share the recipe, let me explain what makes Portuguese egg tarts unique.
Unlike Chinese egg tarts, which have a smooth, pale yellow custard filling and a shortcrust or puff pastry base, Portuguese egg tarts (known as Pastéis de Nata) are characterized by:
- Caramelized, blistered tops that come from baking at very high temperatures
- A creamier, richer custard made with milk instead of water
- Extra flaky, crispy pastry that shatters when you bite into it
- A slightly burnt appearance on the surface that adds depth of flavor
The first time you bite into a proper Portuguese egg tart, you understand immediately why they are so beloved. The contrast between the crispy shell and the silky custard is pure magic.
The Story Behind My First Attempt
Let me paint the picture for you.
I am standing in my kitchen. The pressure is real. A Portuguese man who grew up eating these tarts is about to taste my version. Not just any Portuguese man. My ex-manager. Someone whose opinion I genuinely respect.
What if they are too sweet?
What if the pastry is not crispy enough?
What if the custard is lumpy?
These thoughts raced through my mind as I gathered my ingredients. But here is the thing about baking: once you start, the process takes over. The measuring, the whisking, the watching. It all becomes a meditation.
And when those tarts came out of the oven, golden and bubbling, I knew I had done something right.
Portuguese Egg Custard Tarts Recipe
Simple ingredients come together to create something extraordinary.
Adapted from Not Quite Nigella
Makes: 12 tarts
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Total Time: Approximately 1 hour
Ingredients
For the Custard:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar (I would use slightly less than this next time)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 400ml full cream milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Pastry:
- 1 block of puff pastry sheet
Equipment Needed
- Muffin tray (12 cups)
- Medium saucepan
- Whisk
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Sharp knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
Step-by-Step Instructions
Step 1: Prepare the Muffin Tray and Oven
Proper greasing ensures the tarts release easily after baking.
Grease a muffin tray thoroughly. This is important because the custard can stick, and you want the tarts to release easily after baking.
Preheat your oven to 200°C (392°F).
The high temperature is crucial for achieving that signature caramelized top that Portuguese egg tarts are famous for.
Step 2: Make the Custard Base
Whisking constantly prevents lumps from forming.
Place the egg yolks, sugar, and cornflour in a pan. Whisk them together until well combined.
Slowly add in the milk while continuing to whisk. The key here is to add the milk gradually to prevent lumps from forming. Trust me, lumpy custard is not what you want.
Keep whisking until everything is smooth and combined.
Step 3: Cook the Custard
Medium heat and constant stirring create perfectly smooth custard.
Place the pan over medium heat. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly.
This is where patience comes in. You cannot walk away from the stove. The custard needs your full attention.
Stir until the mixture thickens and comes to a gentle boil. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat.
Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
Step 4: Cool the Custard
Transfer the custard to a clean bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly onto the surface of the custard. This prevents a skin from forming.
Let it cool completely before using. You can speed this up by placing the bowl in the refrigerator.
Step 5: Prepare the Pastry
Rolling the pastry tightly creates those beautiful flaky layers.
Thaw the puff pastry sheet according to package instructions. Most brands require about 30-40 minutes at room temperature.
Roll the pastry on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness.
Here is the clever part: roll it from the width-side tightly, like you are making a Swiss roll. This creates the spiral layers that make Portuguese egg tart pastry so incredibly flaky.
Cut the rolled pastry into small discs.
Roll each disc on a floured surface to the rough size of your muffin tray cups. You want the pastry to cover the bottom and sides of each cup completely.
Step 6: Assemble the Tarts
Fill each pastry shell leaving a small gap at the top.
Press each pastry disc into the greased muffin tray cups. Make sure the pastry comes up the sides evenly.
Fill each pastry shell with the cooled custard, leaving a small gap at the top. The custard will rise slightly during baking.
Step 7: Bake
The high oven temperature creates those signature blistered tops.
Place the muffin tray in the preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the custard has developed those beautiful caramelized spots on top.
Every oven is different, so keep an eye on them during the final minutes. You want the tops to blister and brown but not burn completely.
Step 8: Cool and Serve
Cool slightly before removing from the tray for best results.
Remove the tarts from the oven. Let them cool in the tray for 5-10 minutes.
Then carefully remove them from the muffin tray and transfer to a wire rack.
Portuguese egg tarts are traditionally served warm, but they are also delicious at room temperature.
My Experience: What I Learned
The Taste Test
When I presented these tarts to Joao, I held my breath.
He took a bite. Chewed thoughtfully. And then smiled.
The verdict was in: he loved them.
He even said that a lot of people in Singapore would be willing to pay for these. That is high praise coming from someone who grew up eating authentic pastéis de nata.
What I Would Change
Less Sugar:
The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of sugar, but I found it slightly too sweet for my taste. Next time, I would reduce it to about 1/3 cup. The caramelization adds natural sweetness, so you do not need as much sugar in the custard itself.
Thinner Pastry:
I rolled my pastry a bit too thick. The result was delicious but slightly heavier than traditional Portuguese egg tarts. Next time, I would roll it thinner for a more delicate shell.
Higher Heat for Shorter Time:
If I wanted even more caramelization on top, I could finish the tarts under the broiler for 1-2 minutes. This would create those dramatic dark spots that are so characteristic of authentic pastéis de nata.
Tips for Perfect Portuguese Egg Tarts
Use Full Cream Milk
Do not substitute with low-fat or skim milk. The richness of full cream milk is essential for the silky texture and flavor of the custard.
Whisk Constantly
When cooking the custard, never stop stirring. This prevents lumps and ensures even cooking.
Cool the Custard Completely
If you add warm custard to the pastry, it will make the pastry soggy. Patience is key here.
Roll the Pastry Tightly
The tight roll creates those beautiful flaky layers. Think of it like making cinnamon rolls—the tighter the roll, the more defined the layers.
Do Not Overfill
Leave a small gap at the top of each tart. The custard expands during baking, and overfilling leads to messy overflow.
Watch the Oven
The difference between perfectly caramelized and burnt can be a matter of minutes. Stay close during the final stage of baking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use store-bought custard instead of making my own?
I strongly recommend making the custard from scratch. Store-bought custard has a different consistency and flavor that will not produce authentic results.
Can I freeze Portuguese egg tarts?
Yes, you can freeze them after baking. Let them cool completely, then freeze in an airtight container. To serve, reheat in the oven at 180°C for 5-10 minutes.
Why did my custard turn lumpy?
Lumpy custard happens when the mixture is heated too quickly or not stirred enough. Use medium heat and whisk constantly for smooth results.
Can I make these ahead of time?
Yes, you can make them a day ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Reheat briefly in the oven before serving to restore crispness.
What is the difference between Portuguese and Chinese egg tarts?
Portuguese egg tarts have caramelized, blistered tops and flakier pastry. Chinese egg tarts have smooth, pale yellow custard and a more solid pastry shell. The flavors are also different—Portuguese tarts are richer and more caramelized.
Why You Should Try This Recipe
Impressive results from surprisingly simple techniques.
Baking Portuguese egg tarts for the first time taught me something valuable: sometimes the things that seem most intimidating are actually achievable with patience and attention to detail.
The recipe itself is surprisingly simple. Few ingredients. Straightforward technique. The magic happens in the details—the constant stirring, the tight rolling, the careful watching.
And when you pull those golden tarts out of the oven, with their blistered tops and flaky shells, you will understand why these humble little pastries have captured hearts around the world.
Whether you are baking for a Portuguese friend or simply exploring new desserts, this recipe delivers impressive results.
Food has a way of bringing people together.
Joao's approval meant more to me than any formal baking competition ever could. There is something special about sharing food with someone who has a deep cultural connection to it.
Food has a way of bridging gaps. It starts conversations. It creates memories. It brings people together.
These Portuguese egg tarts did exactly that. They connected my kitchen to a tradition that spans centuries and continents.
And now, I am sharing the recipe with you. I hope you find as much joy in baking them as I did.
Bom apetite!
Disclaimer: This recipe is adapted from Not Quite Nigella. Results may vary based on oven temperature, ingredient quality, and personal technique. Always follow food safety guidelines when handling raw eggs and dairy products.
Comments
Post a Comment